The Day of Surgery

It’s Saturday morning on the couch, and I figured I’m feeling well enough to share a bit about my day of surgery on Thursday!

As I wrote in the last post, my range of motion at Monday’s appointment wasn’t quite ready for surgery. The surgeon gave me the benefit of the doubt that I could still make it happen within a few days, but it meant two more PT appointments and constant – constant! – leg motion at home. With all that work, the swelling was returning, so I was also constantly icing.

With my husband home with the flu, this left only my amazing mom to drive me up to New England Baptist Hospital (actually, their Waltham surgical location, on-site with the Celtics). We were scheduled to arrive at 12:30pm and only then decide if I was ready for surgery. I had no idea if it would be a go or not, which is a weird feeling since I wasn’t mentally nervous for surgery itself. I was just hoping for a YES!


The surgeon saw me right away and didn’t hesitate – everything looked great! PHEW. They promptly checked me in, and every member of the staff stopped by to meet me: the anesthesiologist, the nurses, the surgeon, etc. The Boston Outpatient Surgical Suites were so clean, efficient and friendly. I couldn’t have been happier from start to finish! And it was oddly peaceful, as opposed to being in a hospital. I was the last and therefore only patient there during recovery.

For those interested, I chose an allograft tendon for my ACL reconstruction, which means the tissue came from a donor. I’m not at all freaked out by that, but I’m assuming I’m going to have visions of another life like they do in the movies, ha! I’m so grateful to my donor, who I like to think of as a young, active woman (the plan was, in fact, to find me just that).

I also have one stitch in my torn meniscus. The sprain in my MCL healed on its own. Apparently they also cleaned up some arthritis on my young knee, achh!

  • 12:30 arrival
  • 2-3:30pm surgery
  • 4:30pm recovery, wake-up, and out the door by 5pm!
  • (1.5 hours travel on either end, back to Cape Cod)

I chose not to have a nerve block in my leg, and to be honest, the pain on Day 1 wasn’t really that bad. I woke up the next morning in much more pain, but just started taking two of my pills instead of one. As long as I stay ahead of it, I’m feeling fine. The major bummer is not being able to reach my leg with ice because of all the bandages, but those can be removed this evening. Hopefully the compression wrap has kept the swelling to a minimum!

So here I am, back on the couch and immobilized again! I have some excellent visitors this weekend, and friends coming over for the Grammys tomorrow :-) PT starts on Monday already! And another week later, I’ll have my sutures out and brace unlocked (to bend) again.

I’m so happy to be on the other end of surgery, and now all of the work I’ll be doing will be to progress me forward! It’s sure to be a slow and sometimes painful recovery, but I’m ready! It will be worth it!

HUGE thank you to all who have sent good vibes via Facebook, Instagram and Twitter this week!

Original injury post found at It’s All Fun & Games Until…

One Comment on “The Day of Surgery

  1. Pingback: Will I ski again? | Cape Cod Runner

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.